Essex social services obtained a High Court order against the woman that allowed her to be forcibly sedated and her child to be taken from her womb.
The council said it was acting in the best interests of the woman, an Italian who was in Britain on a work trip, because she had suffered a mental breakdown.
If you are not absolutely terrified and outraged by this you are wrong. The precedent this sets put every person on earth in danger.
oh my god read the article this is FUCKING HORRIFIC. she got back on her bipolar disorder medication and is in recovery but they won’t give her her child back “because of the risk she might relapse”. What you’re fucking saying with that is that mentally ill people shouldn’t even be allowed children even if they’re safe and well *just in case*, that we’re a permanent threat to ourselves and others even when we’re in treatment and recovery and living a stable life. I am FUCKING LIVID
Over a fucking panic attack. I’m fucking serious, all of this over a single panic attack. They took her baby in the most horrific way possible because she had a fucking panic attack.
From the Article:
She suffered a panic attack, which her relations believe was due to her failure to take regular medication for an existing bipolar condition.
It’s worth noting, that it’s very common for people on psychiatric medication to go off of their meds if they become pregnant, because of risk of side effects.
I bolded the above. I wanted there to be no one to think that she was being irresponsible for not haven taken her meds regularly. She did it for good reason, for the health of her own baby. And she got punished for it.
i fucking cant
So she did what was best for her kid, has ONE SINGLE PANIC ATTACK WHICH IS A THING THAT CAN HAPPEN TO ANYONE WHETHER THEY HAVE A MENTAL ILLNESS OR NOT and decide that they can literally violate her body in a horrific manner and take her kid away. But she’s the dangerous one.
Terribly sad. I hope this gets worked out in her benefit.
I can’t even imagine how terrifyingly awful that situation had to have been. Forcing a woman, against her will, to undergo sedation and then waking up in pain, without the fetus you’ve been carrying for 9 months? That’s beyond the pale. How much do the rights of an unborn fetus circumvent the rights of a full-grown adult? How much do we have to other the mentally ill, treating them (us) as less than human? She was literally treated like a breeding animal, with no cause of concern for her safety, mental health or well-being. Fuck. Fuck.
This is literally the stuff that horror movies are made of.
When K was relating this story to me, I couldn’t believe it until I read the article for myself. Have we really gotten to the point that a woman who, even just from the stress of being pregnant, has a panic attack can legally have her baby ripped out of her body and be thrown into a mental institution? Did we slip back into the 19th century, because I don’t recall any horse-drawn buggies going by outside.
This is why we need mental health reform. This is why we need women’s rights. This is why we need to treat fellow humans like fucking humans, not livestock to be cast aside when they seem a little “off.”
Even women who have no prior mental health issues can have panic attacks during pregnancy!! That shit is fucking rough. I hope she gets her child back.
Here’s the shitty part…. the kid is fifteen months old now. That means the child will have already been bonded and stable with another family…. to take the kid away will wreck that baby’s world… this is such a terrible situation, wow. I just cannot even.
OKAY YEAH LET’S TALK ABOUT TAMIKA FLYNN BECAUSE SHE’S SO IMPORTANT
So not only is Tamika a teenage girl (the most hated of all creatures) she’s, in my opinion, the most important character in this story. Actually one of the most important characters I’ve ever come across.
Tamika’s a 13 year old WOC, a group historically kept “in their place” with illiteracy, but we first heard of her when she saved the city’s schoolchildren from murderous librarians, all while completing a reading list way above her age level. Well done, Tamika.
And yeah, I noticed the “stocky” comment. I too punched the air at the “stocky” comment. Because not only is she a 13 year old WOC, she’s Not Thin. Not exactly someone who gets to be included most of the time, let alone written as the hero.
And yet here she is, Tamika Flynn, kicking multiple asses all over the damn place, literally taking down helicopters with slingshots and leading the city to revolution. And if that hasn’t convinced you this podcast is the tightest shit then get outta my face.
TAMIKA. FUCKING. FLYNN.
Reblogging this post in response to a question about what I thought Tamika Flynn looked like because a-I love this picture and b-I love all the points made in this post. I never thought about the literacy aspect of her character before
Mary Morstan is a character - feel free to hate her all that you want; however, Amanda Abbington is a person, and does not deserve the hate that she’s been receiving. You are sending death threats to an actress that was hired to play a character. The actress has literally nothing to do with the character, besides the fact that they share a face and voice. She is Martin’s partner and we all adore the both of them, and I wouldn’t put it past Martin to consider dropping Sherlock - which he is choosing to be a part of - because his partner is being harassed by the fans of the show.
We love Martin, and we love how he portrays John, we love his and Benedict’s dynamic, and Amanda has always been extremely supportive of the fandom and our completely odd shenanigans, so don’t go chasing after her with pitchforks and torches just because she’s playing a character that is the love interest of one half of our duo.
She’s a real human being, not a fictional one. Just stop.
Good Guy Pope Francis
That is what it means to be a good Christian/Catholic.
Take notes Westboro Baptist Church.
Take notes Christians and Catholics in general.
That’s why I like this guy, and I’m not even Catholic
I like this guy, and I’m not even religious
I love this guy!
(Note: Source Links in the Years)
- 2017: tumblr user thatsmoderatelyraven’s fluffy chicken makes a guest star appearance at the new president’s inauguration. “it’s been my life goal to meet you” says the president
- 2020: tumblr has tripled the amount of blogs registered. Every pun imaginable has been made, all photos of random things in rooms have been taken in HD format, all quotes have been said. There are no more recognizable url’s, even fahjtekysuleirdtyrzdsd and jiput4qwar8tgahwsf8g9bosdiv are taken. It is a dark time. The end is near.
- 2023: Arthur has just begun its 26th season
The new voice actor’s voice has become so squeaky that only Arthur fans’ dogs can hear him
- 2025: scientists are still scrambling to figure out what “zigazig ahh” is so that they can give the spice girls what they really really want
the spice girls are getting impatient
war is upon us
- 2053: a girl lays on her bed wearing vintage ugg boots. ‘I was born in the wrong generation’ she sighs as she listens to taylor swift and cries over a one direction poster.
- 2066: physical contact has been outlawed. hug dealers tenderly embrace people in the dead of night and shady people hold hands in dark streets
- 2068: Sam Winchester is 85 years old. He begins to suffer severe heart problems caused by being old as fuck. Dean gets in his motorized wheelchair and goes to the nearest crossroads at a speed of 3mph and trades his soul for Sam’s life. It is at this point that even the crossroads demons are beginning to worry about the Winchesters’ unhealthy codependency problems.
- 2088: there is only one tree left. the tree is cut down and used to make a newspaper with the headline No More Trees
- 2137: You open your tumblr profile, again after many years. You click on the message box. 1 message. You click on it.
‘Yes, same here! :)’
And you don’t know what it was referring to beacause you don’t have a fucking sent messages box.
- 3009: a group of humans listen to boom boom pow. when fergie says that she is so 3008 they all stand shocked and realise. fergie is now behind the times. fergie herself has become 2000 and late. this is unbelievable news to the humans. hours later the planet descends into war and chaos.
- 4000: 500 years after the last great war.
Humanity survives in small nomadic tribes.
One tribe has uncovered an ancient artifact from before the wars. They believe if they can solve its riddle, they may be able to unite humanity once more.
great. 2,000+ years into the future and still no Sherlock series 4
petition to make young adult authors stop writing about girls whose lives change when they meet a boy
When she saw him time slowed to a stop. He was so perfect and she knew her life would never be the same because she had finally found him. The one. The first boy she would ever kill.
so my school did a count and about like 30-40 girls at my school are pregnant
about 25 are freshman (9th grade)
lord please help us
how can u find the time to frick frack after school I can barely find the time to snick snack